In Romania, it is now:

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bedraggled but Still Here

Just a quick entry to let you know I'm still working away at the many steps to becoming a true PCV (as opposed to a trainee). Last week was rough--you haven't lived until you struggle through the genitive case in Romanian while fighting a nasty stomach "bug" that demands you eat only rice and bananas and tea for 4 days. I'm gradually getting back to normal with some added medication and bed rest this weekend. Of course, I'm making lesson plans while doing so--beginning our 2-week practicum on Monday, 3rd graders the first week and high schoolers the second. These kids are all volunteers from the city and surrounding villages. Over 870 volunteered this year (!), a big increase from last year and a good sign that our program engages kids. We also have interviews coming up in which we discuss aspects of what we want, envision in our site placement. Exactly 100 schools asked for PCVs, and these were reduced to the 44 who will have one of us assigned to their communities. I have my location "druthers" at this point, of course, but it's hard to know the best fit and the placement directors have more experience at it than I have. Well, back to the lesson planning and another banana.

4 comments:

  1. Good update. I am off to Costa Rica with your suffering husband tomorrow and will attempt to keep him entertained with volcanos, cloud forests, coffee plantations and the like. (You did know he was going to Costa Rica did you not?) We also plan to sign up for the Peace Corps there but that is still a surprise for Lee. I think learning Spanish will be easier than Romanian anyway. Don't they speak Latin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you'd feel better if you took your genitives out of their case. Just saying ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your stomach bug. Sending you healing energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you and hope you're better now. When Mike & I went to Korea,I drank the water and regretted it. Hang in there. Jane

    ReplyDelete